There is no shortage of questions about what a psychologist is, what a psychologist does and how a psychologist is different from other professionals. I am commonly asked questions such as:
- Are psychologists the same as psychiatrists?
- What is the difference between a psychologist and a clinical psychologist?
- What is the difference between a psychologist and a counsellor?
- What is a sports/ health/ forensic/ educational/ organisational/ counselling/ community/ neuro-psychologist?
- How does a person become a psychologist?
- Can a psychologist help me with _____?
- Isn’t psychology all just common sense?
- Are you analysing me right now?
- … and, of course …
- What is a psychologist?
To answer all of these questions would make for a tediously long post. So I would like to start with that final question, and the title of this post – “what is a psychologist?” Perhaps at some point I will expand this to a series of posts addressing the other questions.